Dr. Howard Gardner introduced and proposed the theory of 'Multiple Intelligence' in his book, "Frames of Mind" in the year 1983 and since then the theory has got universal acceptance. Many educators and educational Institutions have embraced this theory in meeting the learning requirements of the learners at various levels. The reason behind the overwhelming acceptance is the fact that there are eight possible ways of imparting education and also to understand a child's interests and intelligence.
Dr. Gardner believes that every individual has either one or more than one of the following intelligences:
1. Verbal / Linguistic Intelligence
2. Logical / Mathematical Intelligence
3. Bodily / Kinesthetic Intelligence
4. Musical / Rhythmic Intelligence
5. Visual / Spatial Intelligence
6. Interpersonal Intelligence
7. Intrapersonal Intelligence
8. Naturalistic Intelligence.
1. Verbal / Linguistic Intelligence : People with verbal / linguistic kind of intelligence have a flair for languages; they nurture interest towards learning different languages and are able to do it quite faster than many others. They show special interest towards reading, writing and interacting with people. They like to participate in debates, discussions, seminars etc. They enjoying listening to lectures and taking notes. They are excellent in remembering any kind of information even dates. They are good in grammar, syntax and structure. They have the ability to explain things in details and teach people. People with verbal / linguistic Intelligence perform well in positions where they get opportunities to utilize the skills of language articulation. Usually they excel as teachers, lawyers, writers and politicians. They learn well through reading, listening to lectures in the class, taking notes, interacting with friends and do well in exams because of their good memory power.
2. Logical / Mathematical Intelligence: People with Logical / Mathematical intelligence have the ability to think in a logical manner. They have the ability to reason things. They are good at mathematical calculations. They are good at solving problems. They can play chess quite well. They excel as engineers, computer programmers, software developers, economists, accountants and scientists. They learn well when they are given logical and analytical problems to be solved. They perform extremely well in aptitude tests. They like to solve riddles and puzzles.
3. Bodily / Kinesthetic Intelligence : People with bodily / kinesthetic intelligence enjoy physical movement. They like to play and dance. Physical activity is more important for them. They do very well in the field of sports. They usually associate themselves with dance and the theatrical performances. Most of them fare well in similar professions. They learn well when the learning involves lot of physical activity more than classroom lectures.
4. Musical / Rhythmic Intelligence : People with this intelligence have musical bent of mind. They have natural inclination towards music. Music in any form attracts them. Students with such intelligence learn well in a musical environment. They have good listening skills. They appreciate music in any form or language and have sensitivity towards it. Naturally they fare well as singers, musicians and composers.
5. Visual / Spatial Intelligence : Such people have strong sense of judgment. They are good at imagination. They have strong ability to visualize. They have an artistic bent of mind. Naturally they fare well in creative arts. With their power of imagination they become good artistes, painters, designers, directors and architects. Students with this kind of intelligence learn well when their creative abilities are triggered by creating favorable environment in the classroom.
6. Interpersonal Intelligence : People with interpersonal skills have good social awareness. They understand people and their way of thinking. They have the ability to strike a conversation with a stranger. They never hesitate to talk to people. They are often described as extroverts. They become stars in any party they visit because of their conversational skills. They have team spirit. They fare well in public relation kind of jobs. They do well in the hospitality Industry and also as marketing professionals. Such students can do wonders if they are put in a team. They learn well in situations where they are required to talk and convince people.
7. Intrapersonal Intelligence : People with this intelligence have good self awareness. They perform better in isolation, than in teams. They are usually described as introverts. They do a lot of self- introspection. They understand themselves very well. They communicate with themselves quite often. They avoid conversation with others unless they are forced to talk. They fare well in desk jobs where there is no requirement of talking. They prefer to work silently on their own. They shine very well as writers, painters, philosophers, scientists and computer programmers.
8. Naturalistic Intelligence : People with naturalistic intelligence have inclination towards nature. They prefer to be close to nature. They like naturalistic atmosphere around them. Such students can learn better in natural settings. They do well as conversationalists, gardeners and agriculturists.